PlanITROI has maintained “green” ITAD environmental policies since 1991. PlanITROI has been referred to as “being green before the term was popular.”
PlanITROI’s core environmental policies are:
- Zero landfill
- Zero incineration
- Zero export of non-functioning assets or e-waste
PlanITROI: A History of Being Green
PlanITROI has maintained a sustainable IT and “Green” orientation since the founding of the company and has been at the forefront of the Green and Sustainable IT movements for nearly two decades. We have consistently advocated that corporations and government agencies keep their retired IT assets out of the waste stream and the world’s landfills. This is not just because zero-landfill policies are more eco-friendly, but because we have long recognized that there is a strong global demand for high quality refurbished, and specifically, our Certified Nusedsm, IT assets.
The company is committed to maintaining the highest levels of environmental responsibility and take every precaution to prevent IT equipment we process from ending up in the world’s landfills or rivers.
PlanITROI maintains a closed-loop Environmental Management System. The company’s processes are OHSAS 18001, ISO14001, ISO 9001 and R2 Certified.
- Every asset we receive from our clients is tracked by serial number so no items will be listed as “unaccounted.”
- If PlanITROI cannot add value to particular unit and remarket it for the highest amount possible, the unit is securely transported to our downstream partners for proper recycling.
- We remarket 90% of the assets we receive.
- These same environmental best practices are held to throughout the globe as we serve clients worldwide.
Downstream Partner Requirements
It’s important for clients to know that there is no such thing as an “EPA-Certified Electronics Processing Facility.” The EPA does not audit electronics recycling operations and provide an approval designation. That is why it is necessary to work with an ITAD services provider that has a downstream process that is ISO 14001 certified and e-Stewards or R2 certified as well. These certifications require third party audits and need to be maintained.
- PlanITROI randomly audits its downstream partners and also verifies that certifications are up to date.
- Certificates of Recycling are provided for all items sent through the recycling process. No items will be shown as unaccounted units.
- Proper recycling requires that the downstream partner separate the items received into their base materials, i.e., plastics, glass, metals (ferrous and non-ferrous), etc. and then grinds these materials to a form that can be remarketed to industry as raw materials.
- No e-waste goes to a landfill or to an incinerator.
- Our downstream partners also utilize RCRA compliant haulers for transporting the ground and separate materials to manufacturers.
This attention to environmental detail is also good business, because certain assets have materials of value that can be reclaimed in the recycling process, thereby further reducing the cost of recycling.
In addition to U.S. federal, state and local requirements, PlanITROI holds to the WEEE requirements for the European Union and all country specific environmental regulations.
Carbon footprint data that supports any “Green Initiatives”
Most calculations of Carbon footprint focus on assets that are recycled not reused. Or they focus on energy utilization. PlanITROI focuses on all Carbon footprint savings to help benefit the environment and our client’s wallets. PlanITROI utilizes environmental benefits impact calculators to show clients the impact the re-use path has versus recycling. The calculator provides quantitative results for both environmental and economic benefits. The environmental benefits for re-use of laptops, desktop, servers, mobile phones and equivalent items far out-weigh the benefits of recycling. Recycling is the last acceptable option in an environmentally oriented program.
Environmental Impact measurements, by metric, are provided for:
- Energy savings (kWh)
- Primary Materials Savings (kg)
- GHG – Greenhouse Gas Emissions (by kg of Carbon Equivalents)
- Air Emissions (kg)
- Water Emissions (kg)
- Toxic Material Savings
- Energy Cost Savings ($)
PlanITROI Quality, Environmental, Health and Safety Policy
Our Company recognizes that the disciplines of environmental, quality, health and safety management are an integral part of its management function. Our Company views these as a primary responsibility and to be the key to good business in adopting appropriate environmental, quality, health and safety standards.
PlanITROI’s Quality, Environmental, Health and Safety Policy calls for continual improvement in its environmental, quality, health and safety management activities and business will be conducted according to the following principles…
We are committed to:
- Specializing in Asset Value Recovery programs for companies with expiring IT assets.
- The prevention of pollution and the prevention of injury and ill health.
- Providing a clean, safe and regulatory compliant facility.
- Meeting customer requirements and promoting an understanding of our customers’ needs and expectations, together with a culture of exceeding customer expectations
- Managing used and end of life electronic equipment based on a reuse, refurbishment, recovery, disposal hierarchy including onsite and downstream materials management throughout the recycling chain.
- Managing Focus Materials throughout the recycling chain to final disposition with due diligence to protect our environment.
- Continuous improvement achieved through monitoring of objectives and targets and rigorous evaluation of our management system.
- Complying with all legal and other requirements.
- Communicating and reinforcing this policy throughout our company, as well as, to our customers, our suppliers and to the public.
- Adopting a forward-looking view on future business decisions that may have environmental, quality, or health and safety impacts.
- Training our staff in the needs and responsibilities of environmental, quality, health and safety management.
- Taking due care to ensure that activities cause no avoidable adverse environmental impact and are safe for employees, associates, subcontractors and others who come into contact with our workplace.
- Efficiently perform the sorting, consolidation and material handling duties to improve productivity.
- Reviewing and revising these policies to insure they remain suitable and appropriate.